Saturday, December 30, 2023

2023 Goal Reflection

Photo by <a href="https://unsplash.com/@kajtek?utm_content=creditCopyText&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=unsplash">Kajetan Sumila</a> on <a href="https://unsplash.com/photos/a-screenshot-of-a-computer-bxaqUeVIGHU?utm_content=creditCopyText&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=unsplash">Unsplash</a>

What a year 2023 was.  I met some cool milestones and went through many a challenge.  But this post isn't entirely about that.  At the start of this year, I set some goals for myself and I'm taking a moment to check back on how accomplishing those goals went!

✅ Learn how to do something new around the house.  I feel like when you move into a house, you can't help but learn something new.  In my case, we moved into a house that is over 120 years old and was most recently a rental property before we bought it.  There's plenty to do around here!  I learned how to do a board and batten wall in my entry way and I learned a lot about fitting doors into older properties (and just how difficult this actually is).  I'm excited to learn more going forward!

❌ 365 days of gratitude.  This was a very big goal.  It's not that it was hard to do, but the amount of time was a huge barrier.  I think I made it to March before I had too much of a backlog of gratitude.  Then it felt like a chore to do.  I don't want to 100% let this go, but I think I need to adjust my goal.  Maybe 52 weekly posts rather than 365 daily posts, if that makes sense.  That might be more do-able.

 Successfully cultivate a sourdough starter.  I managed to do this!  The problem is, it didn't last more than a month.  Cultivating sour dough starter is kind of a full-time job.  You can't let it go for too long or the starter goes bad.  I'd like to try it again in the future, but perhaps at a time when I'm better able to put more attention on it.

🤏 Complete 5 exercise programs through Beach Body.  I, like many others out there I'm sure, have a complicated relationship with exercise.  It's not enough for me to simply set a goal and then accomplish it.  I completed more programs than I have in the past, but I need more supports that I thought in order to do this.  Next time, I don't want to tie my success to just one program.  But I'm still looking for ways to stay active and find interest in what I'm doing rather than it just becoming a chore.  So this is a complicated success.

 Get my first tattoo.  This is still important to me to do.  There was just an issue with finding an artist, finding the time, and having the money available to do this.

 Learn how to preserve food.  I did this!  I now know how to make tomato sauce, fruit jam, and pickles!  I also have some fun new tools to make this job easier.  Immersion blenders are amazing :). I'm looking to expand my garden even more this year so that I can use more of what I grow!  Especially towards the end of the season, I wanted to keep canning things, so I relied on what I could find at the grocery store.  Maybe next year I'll have enough where I don't have to worry about that so much.

 Learn how to make food items I would normally buy out of convenience at the grocery store.  This is related to number 6.  I have ketchup and pasta sauce in mind.  This could help us save money, use what we grow in our garden, and make healthier convenience food.

 Find the best farmer's market in my area.  To be honest, this one ceased to be important to me.  That happens with goals sometimes.  I'm gracefully letting go of this

 Take up blogging again.  Technically, yes, I did take up blogging again.  Was I consistent though?  Not in the least.  I'll be extending this in my 2024 goals-- I'll elaborate in a future post.

🤏 Explore 10 places in my neighborhood and around Minnesota that I've never visited before.  I'll call this one partially accomplished.  I don't know that I visited 10 new places (unless I count individual places, not just new towns... then maybe...), but I did get to visit some new places around Minnesota!  We crossed off a few state parks when we went camping (blogs incoming this January/early February)

 Get my nose pierced.  Again, time and money didn't align for this goal, but I still want to do it!  I'll be moving this over to my 2024 goals.

While I didn't accomplish all of my goals this year, I'm really proud of what I did get to do.  Some of these goals will stop here and others will be let go of, which is also okay, especially if I don't find importance in them anymore.  Just because I set a goal does not mean I can't re-examine my priorities and values in the moment.  

Stay tuned for 2024 goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment